Sunday, March 21, 2010

It's been a cheesy day

I decided yesterday to try making cheese at home. Gourmet Sleuth has a number of recipes for cheese, and I went with a really simple one called butter-
milk 
quark for my first effort. I cannot really describe the smell the buttermilk made while sitting in a 150 degree oven for eight hours, but I will say, to me it was very pleasant and invoked a kind of Heidi in the Alps mood: good air, good cheese and bread and fresh milk, goats running about eat sweet hay. 
Before heading to bed, I poured out the whey and the moved the cheese to a tightly woven cheese cloth in a colander. It drained overnight and looked sort of like paneer today. It crumbles like feta and tastes similar. The recipe suggested adding milk for a sour cream texture, which I tried, but in future I think I'll stay with the crumbly texture for salads. 
I think this would go really well with garlic stuffed olives and cucumbers. Mmm deeelish. 


Tomorrow: I'll show you how I recreated the cozy marshmallow beds from The District Hotel in my own room, with the help of my fiancĂ©.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comment here