My needle felting tool and mat came today and I can tell already this will be an addictive hobby. If you appreciate quilting but don't have the patience for it this may be a nice alternative.
Below is a close up of what the needles look like. They go smoothly through the felt but tear it up on the way out. This is how the two fabrics are intertwined. Never, ever stick yourself with these needles or parts of you will get intertwined that should not! Read on ...
So I've already felt together some seems and want to appliqué a heart (why not a symbol of love?) onto what will be a book or laptop sleeve. The heart has already been completed. These images are just to show the process. I place the mat into the sleeve and smooth the fabric over the top. Then use the needle felting tool to secure the heart to the sleeve. (I really did not intend that pun). Read on ...
Press down on the fabric. The needle will go through both layers and safely down into the bristles of the mat. Do your edges first to secure the top layer. Then, continue until the two layers are well secured.
So that's how it's done. Below is a finished sample. I put the fuzzy side out for a more subtle effect. All of the edges were joined using the same technique.
I can just imagine the complicated landscapes or abstract patterns that could be created using needle felting technique. I'd love to see what other people are doing with this. That's all for today folks. Have a good one.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave comment here